busted.


boss: "so, i've noticed that when i send you emails sometimes at like 3 or 4 o'clock, you don't respond. i assume you've been leaving early those days?"

me: "umm. yeah..."

boss: "what is your regular schedule like? could you let me know days when you maybe take a shorter lunch and leave early?"

me: "my schedule is 8:30 - 5:00."

boss (looking confused): "i know. don't take this as me saying that i'm watching you or anything, it's more just like me wanting to know the days you leave early in case i need to get a hold of you."

me: "you can always reach me on my cell phone."

boss: "i know, but i don't want to contact you if it isn't an emergency."

me (thinking, if it's not an emergency, then what does it matter if i leave early?): "i've left early the past couple of days because no one else was in the office."

boss: "no, no. i totally get it. but could you let me know what your schedule is like on those occasions you do happen to leave early?"

me: "i'll be here from 8:30 - 5:00, and if i leave early, i'll email you."

boss (looking confused again): "oh...okay."

2 comments:

beastmomma said...

oh dear!
awkward?!?!?

Aby said...

Though it must have been an awkward situation for you.. but I couldn't stop smiling.